Friday, June 11, 2010

31



I was thinking about my upcoming birthday (which I'm totally sure you're aware of and have shipped a gift for) and then I was thinking about people who don't like to celebrate their birthdays.  They're too bummed about being another year older and they don't like to acknowledge it.  Instead of being one of those people, which isn't really my nature anyway, I thought I would celebrate my life thus far by making a list of 31 good or fun things I've done. 

1.  I said "Yes" to a blind date.

2. I married the man God sent me who was worth keeping.  Not only worth keeping, but worth sacrificing a lot for.  But I don't sacrifice nearly as much as he sacrifices for me.  Or you.


3.  I dated and had my heart broken - and maybe broke a few hearts, too.  But it all taught me what I needed to know so that I would be ready for the right one.

4.  I finished school - high school and college. Not that I'm using that degree, but I could if I wanted to.

5.  I said "Yes" when Alan asked if I would move to North Carolina...then D.C...then Colorado Springs...then Omaha...then Okinawa.  I'm proud that I've been that resilient and that flexible.

6.  I beat cancer.  And even got a tattoo to celebrate it. 


7.  I gave life to three precious, healthy children and I love them endlessly.

8.  I've been a bridesmaid for my best friends' weddings

9.  I went to Times Square for New Years Eve

10.  I've stayed healthy enough to run countless 5Ks and a 10K

11.  I've run a half-marathon...

12....and a full marathon!


13.  I ran in the Texas State Track Meet in 1995

14.  I've been a good friend, especially when friends needed a good friend.

15.  I rocked a bald head.  I made that shit look good.  So did Alan ;-)

16.  I took the ultimate Spring Break vacation (at the time) - Cancun.
 
17.  I learned to surf and rocked.

18.  I (We) survived two deployments

19.  I was a manager of the pharmacy I worked for in Austin.
 
20.  I learned how to shoot a gun. 

21.  I know how to jump-start a car.  Beyond that, I know how to call a tow truck!

22.  Aside from chemo, I've never done drugs.

23.  I've made friends all over the country - and world! - who will be a part of my life forever.

24.  I've known God, lost Him (or faith in Him, at least), and found Him again.

25.  I've (We've) taken an RV road trip with a 2-year-old and two dogs across the Western U.S.


26.  I've flown an airplane over San Antonio (okay, only for a few minutes, but have you?)

27.  I've been to the two biggest car races - Daytona 500 and Indy 500 - and actually enjoyed them!

28. I've survived a hurricane, driving in a blizzard, a pretty big earthquake and being held-up at gun-point.  My Guardian Angel has me covered.  Bring it. 

29.  I've been a good parent - not perfect, but good. 

30.  I went sky-diving.

31.  I've built a life that I love (even when I think I hate it) and am proud of.  Isn't that what's most important?  I'd hate to waste a day worrying about how old I am and missing out on this life and the opportunities it's yet to present.

5 comments:

Stephani said...

Amy, This is beautiful and am so happy to know you. You inspire, encourage and are so down to earth while you do it. I hope you have a great 31, which I know you will. Thinking of you!

Amy Sprenkle said...

I'm showing your picture to my mom. She's been very sensitive about her baldness through chemo and I want her to see that it is a sign of courage and survival! Thanks for sharing!

WSUGirl said...

Amy, I have told you before that you are an amazing woman and one I truly admire!! I know you are always a "half full" attitude and look forward to reading your next 31 too!!!! Best wishes for a fabulous birthday and many MANY more to celebrate too!!

Miss Bee said...

Love it! We are ALL thankful for you and I agree with WSU Girl - I can't wait to read about the next 31! (And maybe by then you'll get to be a bridesmaid ONE MORE TIME.) ;)

Love you!

Amy said...

Thanks, everyone! Amy, tell your Mom that around here, we think bald is beautiful. And scarves are waaaay more comfortable in the summer. The other thing a scarf does is raise awareness a little bit...