Saturday, May 8, 2010

You Get What You Pay For

Recently we began using our mamasan to also do some childcare a couple of days a week.  Since that happened, people have had no problem asking how much we're paying her and then voicing their opinion on it.  For the record, we pay her $10.00/hour for all three kids and I think it's a pretty good deal (especially considering that when I return she's usually washed bottles, made beds, and done three loads of laundry!).  A lot of people have expressed that "she's expensive," or "she's banking!"... There are a few things I don't skimp on because I think you really get what you pay for with these particular things.  Here are some of those things:

Childcare - I'm comfortable paying more and knowing my children are properly cared for.  With newborns, I'm not looking for a deal.

Shoes - Bad shoes give blisters

Paper products - facial tissue, toilet tissue, paper towels... Quilted Northern Ultra rocks, plus they support Susan G. Komen for the Cure

Diapers - Luvs and the Walmart brand have betrayed us before and it's been ugly.  Some people have good luck, but those people aren't us.

Jeans - There's really no legitimate reason, other than I like them better and they fit well.

There are probably a few other things, but these are the main ones that came to mind.  We're all allowed a few indulgences.  Mine aren't too exciting - toilet paper and diapers?  What do you not skimp on? 

2 comments:

Miss Bee said...

$10.00/hr for all three kids, 2 of which are newborns? Does it GET any cheaper than that? (Not being a patron of childcare providers yet, I don't know, but it seems like a deal to me.)Even if the going rate over there is more like $6 an hour, I agree with you... childcare is not something you skimp on.

I too no longer skimp on shoes or jeans. I can justify shoes as a medical expense...I mean, I wouldn't want to have to have another foot surgery, right? But you're right... no excuse on the jeans other than they make me look better.

I've also developed an affinity for good hairspray, brightly colored solo cups and bras. (I also like designer purses but am trying to break that habit so that I have more money for shoes.)

Stephani said...

I agree with Miss Bee, that $10/hr is a deal and if you feel comfortable with her, then that's the icing on the cake.

I'd have to say, in general, I'll pay a little bit more for convenience and more time at home with my family. If I can buy the poster board for the science project for $2.99 at Walgreens (while I'm picking up an RX) then I will. I don't want to park at Wal-Mart and walk 30 miles to save $.75. Convenience is valuable to me!