Sunday, March 13, 2011

How Thoughtful!


The other day, Adam was eating his lunch, drinking milk out of a cup Alan had brought him back from Okinawa when he was here TDY, before we moved here.  After lunch, he told Alan, "Daddy, thank you for bringing me this cup.  Since you brought me that, I'm going to give you something I don't want anymore."  He disappeared to his room and reappeared a few minutes later, holding a tin, car-shaped box, painted like Dale Jr's old #8 car.  This was ironic because that was something Alan didn't want anymore when Jr's number changed (what a nightmare...but that's another story), so he gave it to Adam.  So here he was giving it back!  Only, it was filled with flashcards that were for learning to read.  Adam told Alan, "You can have these cards to use, since I already know how to read."  How thoughtful!  I had been thinking Alan needed to brush up on words like "stove" and "umbrella."  ;-)

To brag on Adam for a minute, he totally can read!  In fact, I put him to work most evenings, reading bedtime books to the babies.  And, often, he reads his own bedtime books as well.  Last night we played this SpongeBob Cranium game that's for ages 7+ and he read all of his own cards!  He's doing amazing and we're so proud of him.  What a little smartie...that's why I don't question his fashion sense.  When you're raising a prodigy, you have to just trust them and let them shine.  If he wants to be Sheriff Santa Woody the Waiter, who am I to stifle that creativity?

1 comment:

Miss Bee said...

What a sweet, smart, thoughtful little man!