Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Do You Know The Laws?


A friend shared this video on Facebook the other day and it really affected me.  I can't stop thinking about it and how right he is.  Sorry, I had trouble embedding it, so you'll have to click on the link to watch.  It's Mike Huckabee talking about where God was when the horrific tragedy occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary School.  Watch it, then come back to me.

 
 
What a revelation!  Here we have been, cutting God out of school, out of politics...out of society.  But in a time of crisis, what do we do?  We run to Him.  We run to church.  We beg of Him to help us understand "Why?"  I love this monologue.  Especially the end, where he reminds us that laws are already in place to prevent these sort of tragedies.  WE ARE JUST FAILING TO TEACH THEM.  We should all feel responsible a little bit for tolerating the direction our society has gone in.  Bratz and Monster High dolls?  Is that the sort of trash you want your daughter looking up to?  And video games - Halo, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto...all glorifying guns and making kids think it's cool to be really good at shooting.  What about the top TV shows?  Dexter, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy...all glorification of crimes.  People automatically think something is mentally wrong with people who commit these crimes.  What if they are perfectly normal people, just doing what they think is OK to do - what they are taught to do?
 
As a child, I grew up around guns.  Daddy was a hunter.  The guns weren't even locked up!  The rifles were propped in a corner, easily accessible for defense (never necessary) or a good buck that wondered close enough to the house (we lived on 11 acres).  You know what?  My sister and I never touched those guns.  Friends who came over never touched them.  You know why?  Because our parents taught us two things: 1) The Ten Commandments and 2) Guns were not toys and can hurt people.  Because we knew #1, we didn't want to hurt anyone.  Do you think the kids who have mastered the above mentioned video games understand #1 or #2?  Doubtful...
 
I don't completely disagree with stricter gun control guidelines.  I do agree that no civilian has any business owning a semi-automatic weapon.  And I do know that any gun in the wrong hands can be disastrous.  But I also know that there are far more people who legally and safely own and operate guns.  And I also know that the people who use them to be disastrous are not going to follow any law put in to place.
 
Guns don't kill people.  People kill people.  Teach your people the original Laws and they will live a respectable, rich life.  I don't like to blame the parents when things like this happen because it's not my place to judge, but I think parents do hold a lot of responsibility for how our children turn out.  Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, some kids stray and I get that.  But if you're a parent, pay attention to what your children are being exposed to!  You are not responsible for their actions - individuals are solely responsible for their own actions, but you are responsible for setting them up to live the best way possible as adults.  It's your job.  Try to do it right.  If you need an instruction manual, there has always been one.  It's a little long, but it's effective.
 
 
Mike Huckabee had more comments here: