Thursday, October 24, 2013

I Think I'll Be Alright Without These...

This little island home has treated us well for the past four years - I'm not going to lie.  There have been inconveniences, sure, but they came with a much longer list of blessings.  I am really hard-pressed to find much that I won't miss about Okinawa.  Most of what I won't miss has to do with fear of being bitten and dying, as a matter of fact.  Like, I won't miss this "pet" we had for a few weeks: 

 

 
I surely won't miss the Habu, which produces the necessity to carry a flashlight with you at all times after sunset, and the fear of coming across one's path as we stumble home from the Officers' Club:

 
I won't miss bathrooms that I cannot figure out.  Really - what's the bowl for?  And why isn't the sprayer over the tub?

 
I won't miss dinner that looks like this:

 
I won't miss sweeping these up off the floor of my living room in February and March.  Yes, really.

 
Snails that are bigger than a Chili's cup...not gonna miss that.
 
 
I will not miss this phase of my twins' life.  I know you all say "you're gonna miss this - it goes by fast...blah, blah, blah..." but parenting has been HARD these past 3.5 years and I'm glad to be past the baby and toddler phases.  Plus, as it happens with twins, I actually remember very little due to being in survival mode, so there isn't much to "miss"...


 
I won't miss shopping at the BX for clothing and shoes.  I won't miss the slow speed limits.  I won't miss trying to hang things in concrete walls and the lack of storage in these houses.  Or the mold that grows everywhere.  I won't miss postal shipping nightmares and I won't miss that one drink puts me over the legal driving limit.  I think I'll be alright without these things.  The list of things I'll miss is going to be much longer.


3 comments:

Miss Bee said...

I'm not sure which disturbs me more... The snakes or whatever that dinner was. Octopus skull? Squirrel intestines? ((Shudder))

Unknown said...

Where was that photo of the Habu taken?
Love that you took a photo of the twins during a meltdown. They will appreciate that in say, Never mind...they won't ever appreciate that. :)

Amy said...

Miss Bee, that was many parts of a pig - ear cartilage, pig foot, pig belly (not too bad, like thick bacon), and then those little fish were eaten whole. Blegh.

Carey, taking photos mid-meltdown is common practice around here. I like to shame my children.