Friday, November 13, 2009

Tourists in Our New Town

How long do we have before we aren't considered tourists anymore?  I hope we can be considered "permanent tourists," since we do reside here, but really only temporarily.  I'm going to go ahead and take the liberty to classify us as that.  I hope that means I can always take pictures of restaurant menus and funny Japanese people without feeling a little bit corny.  That being said, here are a few places we've gotten to explore in our new country.

Adam happens to be a connoisseur of aquariums so last weekend we took him to the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium.  This aquarium boasts several firsts:  The world's first to successfully birth a manta pup in captivity, the first in the world to house several whale sharks in one tank - maintaining the world record for the longest times kept in captivity, the world's only to hold schooling manta rays (the largest of all the rays) in captivity...the list goes on and on.  Until Atlanta opened, it was the world's largest.  The bottom line is this place is AMAZING.  If it didn't look like this,:



it might still be just as amazing...but probably not.  Honestly, this helps a lot.  Here are some highlights of the tour:

This is us near the entrance of the aquarium.  Really, I needed a break because the walk from the parking garage was a little long, so it was a good excuse to stop and take a picture.
 
At the first exhibit, Adam got to pet a starfish...





















...then strangle a sea cucumber. That's Alan reaching to release the death-grip















This is a Japanese Spear Lobster.  The educational sign next to it (loosely translated into English) says it doesn't have any claws...as if that should make us feel better about a chance encounter.  Seriously - bigger than Adam.
















Next came the Whale Shark exhibit.  I like this picture because it shows the whale in relation to the people standing by the glass.  There is really no relaying how big these things are.  But, if it helps to imagine it, here is also a shot of Alan and Adam standing in an open jaw:









Next, we ventured outside the main building, where the sea turtle pool, dolphin pool & theater, and manatee pool were.  Here are some sea turtle shots...of "Crush," of course:


Finally, we were just in time to catch the dolphin show at the theater, which included a "False Killer Whale."  Here's what we saw when we paid attention to the (completely Japanese-narrated) show:

Don't get me wrong - the show was really cool, like one at Sea World.  But here's what we saw if we turned our head to the left, which was way cooler:

Here is the obligatory belly shot of me outside the manatee pool, at 24 weeks:


A Few Other Firsts & Some Random Funnies

McDonalds:


American Village (think Chinatown, but for us):  There's a big ferris wheel that we haven't been on yet, but Adam insists he wants to, and a place called "Yogurtland" that's like Maggie Moos, but with frozen yogurt.

Seriously, why do they have this?

We Americans would call this "Cat Karaoke"...not sure what it really is called, but I'm pretty sure it's karaoke and it might also be a restaurant.  We also have "The Monkey Man Store" and "the Bunny Store" only because those animals are on the sign.

To end, I give you a picture of my first meal at Mike's Tex-Mex here on Okinawa.  It's no Alamo Cafe or el Jarro de Arturo, but it was a "happy ending" for me:


2 comments:

Miss Bee said...

So many things to say:

1. Who knew it was so pretty over there? Not me.
2. "Strangle a sea cucumber" is one of the funniest things I've ever read. I can just picture Adam thinking "hmmmm... I wonder what would happen if I squeeze really hard..."
3. No thank you on the Japanese Spear Lobster.
4. I will refrain from saying anything about how funny it may or may not be that you chose to stand by the manatee pool for your belly shot. (Sorry, couldn't help it.)
5. Did you eat a burger at McDonalds? Did it taste the same? I tried one in Paris but they use runny ketchup over there so it wasn't the same.
6. Are there "gargle" machines everywhere? What the ??? They would probably think I have chronic halitosis, as I only use mouthwash once a day.
7. Please go inside the Cat Karaoke place one of these days.
8. I think you are definitely good to call yourself a "permanent tourist." Keep the pictures coming.

xoxo

Amy said...

Let me first say that I stand corrected on the photo of Alan & Adam in the jaws - that's just some prehistoric shark jaw, not a whale shark. Whale sharks don't actually have teeth. I also forgot to mention that this place had actual creatures preserved in formaldehyde for us to look at - a giant squid, a shark fetus...totally not right.

Teach -
1. I don't blame you for making the association with the "sea cows." I feel exactly like that so it's an accurate comparison.

2. No, the burgers aren't the same. The thing that tasted the most different to me, oddly enough, was the pickle, but the bread was a little different.

3. That was the only place I've seen the gargle fountains, so I'm not sure about that...

4. We will definitely try karaoke when I no longer feel like a sea cow - Alan says it's quite an experience here.

5. Thanks for the backup on the "permanent tourist." You're a great friend like that.

6. You'll never believe how beautiful it is until you see for yourself ;-)