Friday, March 7, 2014

Walking for a Cause!

image source
Well, by now you had to know it was coming!  It's the time of year for me to raise money for breast cancer research and awareness!  On March 20, 2014, I will celebrate being cancer-free for SEVEN years!  Woo-hoo!  But, let me share this with you: At my final appointment with my oncologist, as we were moving from Colorado Springs to Okinawa, she told me this: "Your type of cancer most often reappears around seven years."  So, while I definitely have reason to celebrate, I also definitely have reason to remain cautious.  As cancer survivors, we are never really "in the clear."  We are always cautious.  Wondering.  Learning.  And for me, ACTING.  As a survivor, I feel it's my responsibility to help raise awareness, educate others and help further treatment efforts.

In the past, I have participated in and raised funds for Susan G. Komen for a Cure because that organization had a direct impact on my own treatment.  This year, I'm mixing it up a bit!  A dear friend invited me to participate with her in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Boston this May.  Why NOT walk 40 miles in support of a cause dear to my heart?!  Even better, I get to do it with a friend.  I'll walk in honor of the way too many people in my life who have fought this disease and either won or lost.  I'll walk in hope of a future where my own daughter never has to be concerned with fighting this disease.  I'll walk surrounded by people who hold this cause as near to their hearts as I do. 

I have a goal to raise $1800 for this race and I would very much appreciate any donation you can give.  For more information on the Avon Foundation and to make a donation, please visit my website:
http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR/Walk/Boston?px=7522891&pg=personal&fr_id=2362

Thanks, in advance, and God bless you all!

2 comments:

Miss Bee said...

I said it once, I'll say it again... cancer ain't got NOTHING on #23!

I'm glad you're doing this... wish I was closer!

Amy said...

Just a couple weeks after the walk, you'll be here! Can't wait!