Monday, October 17, 2011

Adam Turns FIVE!

So, like over two months ago, Adam turned FIVE YEARS OLD!  I know, right?  I can't believe it either, but I have the birth certificate to prove it.  Where does the time go?  Since we were still in Texas at the time, we borrowed an unconditional friend's house ('cause that's the only kind of friend who would lend you their house to have a five-year-old's birthday party).  HUGE kudos and thank you to Mike.  I hope the air conditioner got fixed :-/

I would say the party was a "success."  Not an elegant success, but at the end of the day, pizza was had (we won't mention the anchovy debacle), presents were opened, candles were blown out and cake consumed, and the pinata was busted.  And the two children who busted their faces didn't require stitches.  That's a success, right?  I think so.  Adam got to play with a bunch of kids - even a couple that he knew from Okinawa, who had just moved to San Antonio!  I am so thankful to all of my friends for bringing their kids and for sticking with me as I fumbled through the party.  Without Alan there (he had already flown back to Okinawa), I was in way over my head.  Plus, Anaya somewhat resembled an extra limb I had that day...a non-functioning one...so I did most of it one-armed.  Here are some shots from the day:

The guests arrive!

The Cake!  Spiderman was his favorite (the day we picked out the cake, at least...)

Grandma's got her hands full!

Adam's favorite part:

Me with Anaya (and her bloody cheek!)

Pinata time!  Line 'em up!

I like this shot because you see Mike holding the laptop - Alan was watching Adam's party from Okinawa, on Skype!

 Busted!  RUN!

This CRACKS ME UP!  Sammy with her "disguise," watching Adam blow out the candles.  Hilarious!

The Birthday Boy...beat.

I say it every year, but it really does seem like yesterday that we were flying down the interstate in the middle of the night, scared to death and praying to God that we were cut out for this.  Five years later, I would say we're doing a pretty good job.  I mean, he gets in trouble at school for talking too much (which he obviously gets from his Papaw), but it's only because he's shouting out the answers without raising his hand (OK, sometimes it's not that, but whatev).  He's smart.  As a whip.  That teacher sent home about 250 sight words that we're supposed to take the whole year to "learn" and he read them all to me in about 5 minutes.  He can add, subtract, draw, do push-ups, ride a bike, tell a joke...he's really pretty amazing.  But he just can't hush.  What are you gonna do? 

3 comments:

Miss Bee said...

He is a pretty special kiddo! You've done good. I can't believe he is 5!!!

kcrack said...

Soooo sweet. I believe he's five because I remember your precious baby bump at my wedding 5 yrs ago!

Stephani said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Amy! Love that Alan skyped in for it. So amazing! He's growing up so quickly. Beautiful kiddos!