Sunday, October 3, 2010

Movin' On Up

Effective 1 October, Alan was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Air Force.  WOOOOOOHOOOOO!  Pay raise!  Kidding aside, this was a really big deal.  Not only because it is quite a respectable rank, but because the process is pretty competitive.  Additionally, we have several close friends who have worked just as hard and are outstanding Officers who were not chosen for this rank...yet.  There is hope for next year.  You just never know - such is the military life.  But we made it!  Alan made it.  And we thank God for once again providing so that we may continue in this life we love.


On Thursday afternoon, there was a promotion ceremony at Alan's squadron.  Alan's boss gave a great recount of Alan's career, which was amazing to listen to.  It's unbelievable just how much he has been through and how unique his career in the Air Force has been.  The opportunities he has gotten have been amazing.  It was nice to re-live it all for a bit, knowing that he and we made it through so many difficult times.  It is customary for family members to remove the old rank and place the new rank on the shoulders, so Adam and I handled that part and Adam did a great job.  Anaya and Audie also attended the ceremony with minimal fussing, so that was nice.  After the ceremony we had a little reception.  Here are a few pictures from the day:


Really, Commissary?  You haven't done this enough to know that the "C" in "Col" should be capitalized?  Standard.

 Lt Col Daniel, speaking

 "Making it official" (Reading the Promotion Order)

 Me pinning on the new rank:


 Adam's turn to slide on the shoulder boards!




Repeating the Oath with his new rank

Lt Col Dayton, speaking

HUGE shout-out to Sarah and Michelle for holding the babies so I could just enjoy.  While I'm at it, I'll go ahead and give a shout-out to my friend, Angie, for her photography skills - Thank you, Ladies!!!

Flowers for me...the bling came later

Adam with his "surprise" from Daddy...he got a few more surprises later, but was thrilled about the balloon :-)

 Our family :-)

Our family with Alan's boss and our good friends, the Daniels
  
The reception at the Tee House...Great view of the East China Sea

All in all, it was a good day.  What can I say?  Silver looks good on the man.  At the ceremony, just before speaking about me, he told the quote, "Behind every successful man is an astonished woman."  Well, that's untrue.  I'm not astonished.  I knew he could do this and I'm proud of him and all he has accomplished.  I know he has many more great things in store and I'm excited to be along for the ride.  I might even claim some responsibility for his success ;-)

2 comments:

Miss Bee said...

I'm so happy for you guys! I know Alan has worked hard for this, but I know having your support made it all worthwhile.

And what a great family picture... everyone is facing the camera and has open eyes!

Great post!

kcrack said...

Awwww! Congrats Lt. Col!!! I was tearing up just reading this. So sweet to see Adam helping with the ranking. And FABULOUS family picture. Such a deserving family! Love you guys!